The demolition of ‘illegal’ structures in Delhi’s Jahangirpuri area was stayed by the Supreme Court on Wednesday. However, the demolition drive continued for about an hour and a half after the SC order.
Bulldozers in Jahangirpuri conduct an anti-encroachment drive. (PTI)
The Supreme court on Wednesday, April 20, ordered a stay on the Jahangirpuri demolition drive that the North Delhi Municipal Corporation undertook on Wednesday, April 20, to remove encroachments. The SC ordered a status quo on the demolition drive till it heard the case on Thursday.
Jahangirpuri witnessed back-to-back incidents of violence on April 16, Hanuman Jayanti, and April 18. The Delhi BJP alleged that those accused of rioting in Jahangirpuri had built ‘illegal constructions’ in the area and demanded that they be demolished. The North Delhi Municipal Corporation later announced an anti-encroachment drive in the region on Wednesday and Thursday.
The SC order came after two petitions were filed in the apex court — one pertaining to demolitions across the nation and one specifying the Jahangirpuri anti-encroachment drive. The petitions stated that such demolitions were violating human rights.
Here’s what happened after the Supreme Court’s order:
- Delhi High Court agrees to hear a petition filed in the same matter.
- Senior Advocate Dushyant Dave, appearing for the petitioner, says, “Completely unauthorised unconstitutional demolition ordered in Jahangirpuri area.”
- However, the demolition continues as the NDMC awaits a copy of the SC order.
- CPI(M) leader Brinda Karat says the NDMC’s move was “demolition of the Constitution”. “The law and the constitution have been bulldozed by illegal demolitions. At least the Supreme Court & its order should not be bulldozed. At 10:45 am, the SC gave the order to maintain the status quo on the demolition drive, I have come here for the implementation of the order,” she says.
- MR Shamshad, lawyer for the petitioners, sends a legal notice to MCD, Jahangirpuri SHO, and the Delhi Chief Secretary about the status quo ordered by the Supreme court.
- Dave, too, appeals to the SC to have the demolition stopped immediately.
- CJI NV Ramana directs registry to communicate the order to the appropriate authorities.
- The Delhi Police confirms that bulldozing had been stopped in Jahangirpuri. This comes after the Supreme Court orders for the second time that authorities stop the demolition drive. The demolition drive continued for about an hour and a half after the SC order.
- The Delhi High Court says it will not hear the Jahangirpuri demolition case since the Supreme Court has already stepped in.
For more information call us at 9891563359.
We are a group of best insurance advisors in Delhi. We are experts in LIC and have received number of awards.
If you are near Delhi or Rohini or Pitampura Contact Us Here