Unveiling the scheme, defence minister Rajnath Singh said that it’s a transformative initiative that will provide a youthful profile to the armed forces.
“Under Agnipath scheme, Indian youngsters will be provided an opportunity to serve in armed forces as Agniveer,” Rajnath Singh said.
The Agnipath scheme has been brought to strengthen India’s security, he added.
The ‘Agniveers’ will be given a good pay package and an exit retirement package after a service of 4 years, the defence minister said.
This move comes in a bid to slash the ballooning salary and pension bills, amid major concerns the move will adversely impact the professionalism, military ethos and fighting spirit of the over 14-lakh strong armed forces.
Lieutenant General Anil Puri said that Agniveer would be a part of this future-ready soldier.
“Agniveer would be India’s young protector. After being with us for 4 years, an Agniveer’s resume and biodata will be very unique. He will stand out in the crowd with his attitude, skills and time he would have spent with us,” Puri added.
Army chief General Manoj Pande said that Agnipath scheme aims to bring paradigm shift in recruitment in armed forces.
The scheme will help ensure optimum balance between youth and experience in Army, he added.
What is Agnipath scheme?
Agnipath is a pan India merit-based recruitment scheme for enrolling soldiers, airmen and sailors. The scheme provides an opportunity for youth to serve in the regular cadre of the armed forces.
All those recruited under the ‘Agnipath’ scheme will be called ‘Agniveers’.
Agniveers will be enrolled for a service duration of 4 years including training period.
After four years, only 25% of the Agniveers will be retained or re-enlisted in the regular cadre based on merit, willingness and medical fitness.
They will then serve for a full term of another 15 years.
The first four years, served under a contract, are not likely to be taken into consideration for the fixation of the final pensionary benefits.
The other 75% Agniveers will be demobilized, with an exit or “Seva Nidhi” package of Rs 11-12 lakh, partly funded by their monthly contributions, as well as skill certificates and bank loans for help in their second careers.
Agniveers will be recruited in the age limit of 17.5 to 21 year age gap at the promised salary of Rs 45,000.
- Candidates will be enrolled under the respective service act for a service duration of 4 years.
- Centralised transparent screening assessment based on merit and demonstrated performance during service.
- 100% candidates can apply on volunteer basis to enrol in regular cadre.
- Meanwhile, 46,000 Agniveers will be recruited this year.
Agniveers will be given Rs 30,000 per month. Rs 4.76 lakh is the package that it starts with. After 4 years, Agniveer can volunteer. For all Agniveers who achieve martyrdom, full payment of unserved service years will be given.
The scheme will lead to improved battle preparedness through selection of the best with rigorous and transparent selection process.
- Upto 25% Agniveers to be selected as regular cadre based on central, transparent system after four years.
- 100% candidates can apply on volunteer basis to enroll in regular cadre.
- They will be entitled to awards, medals and insurance cover like the regular cadre of soldiers, airmen and sailors.
- Corpus of Rs 10.04 lakhs plus accrued interest exempted from Income Tax, after four years.
- Non-contributory life insurance cover of Rs 48 lakhs.
- Additional Ex Gratia of Rs 44 lakhs for death attributable to service.
- Pay for unserved portion upto four years including ‘Seva Nidhi’ component.
- Compensation based on the percenatge disability laid down by medical authorities.
- One time ex-gratia of Rs 44/25/15 lakhs for 100%/75%/50% disability respectively.
For more information call us at 9891563359.
We are a group of best insurance advisors in Delhi. We are experts in LIC and have received number of awards.
If you are near Delhi or Rohini or Pitampura Contact Us Here